Creating a Maker Space is just one way that we can connect what happens in the library to the real world.
There are many versions of Maker Spaces. In reality it depends on many variables such as money, space and time.
- Significant Challenges Impeding K-12 Ed Tech Adoption
- Difficult Challenges: Those that we understand but for which solutions are elusive
- Complex Thinking and Communication
- Integrating Personalized Learning
- Solvable Challenges: Those that we understand and know how to solve
- Creating Authentic Learning Opportunities
Like most things, being creative and open minded can allow you achieve success and value add for our students.
In the past students have participated in exploratory sessions with programming, designing apps, game making and digital story telling. I would like to further scaffold this with a design thinking approach, where the students design their own inquiry, rather than it being a structured teacher led experience.
PS: This week I visited PIMPAMA STATE SECONDARY COLLEGE and saw their design thinking in action. Looking forward to seeing the next stage of their journey.
Design Minds EXPLAIN from State Library of Queensland on Vimeo.